Saturday 14 November 2009

Christmas Soap - Julesepe

Now these soaps have been great fun to make - I've made three batches so far, most of which are destined as Christmas gifts to those living around my island.

These, as almost all of my products, are made using the French Milling Process, which means I re-melt my soaps before adding the ingredients that make my soaps special.


Most soap makers add oils and perfumes during the first process. By waiting a bit, I can wait until the curing is finished (or almost finished) and instead add ingredients direct from nature. This way the lye has completely transformed, has disappeared and the goodness of the additional ingredients can come forth without being destroyed.


In this case, I've added cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg. Not only do these combine to produce a smell that reminds everyone of their childhood Christmases, but they all have individual and combined health benifits for the skin. Some of these include anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Allspice has been used to help skin wounds heal more rapidly. Nutmeg has anti-inflammatory products. All of which help through the winter when our skin is often dry and prone to cracking.

The smell of cinnamon has been rumoured to help with memory.

But perhaps the best thing about this soap is that it is just so fun to use. The smell is notable, but is not overpowering and will not drive your guests out of your bathroom gasping for air.

A perfect little something to keep you smiling through the holiday season.

No comments: